Monday, March 15

grandma

I remember flying for the first time on my own to Florida as a little kid. My mom and dad were so worried about me but I had no fears at all. It was exciting. I don't remember the details but I know that I was so excited when I felt that first brush of air on my face as I stepped from the airplane onto the jetway. It was warm and the sun was shining through the cracks around the entrance to the airport.

My Uncle George was waiting there and after we picked up my luggage, he drove me to my grandmother's apartment in West Palm Beach. She lived in a building that was filled with other grandmas and grandpas. I remember her dining room table, probably since we still have it now. And, I remember her Swedish meatballs. They were really sweet and she served them in a giant pot. I remember her swimming pool and that her laundry machine was in her kitchen. There were mirrors in her dining room and once we sat in her bed together reading the newspaper.

And that's really all I remember.

A week ago my great Aunt died and my dad sent me the obituary. He also sent me my grandmother's from 2004. Reading her short biography brought tears to my eyes. I barely knew her for reasons that I will never truly accept or understand. I visited FL a couple times when I was very little but that was basically it. She lived far away, it was too expensive to visit, it was more important for other people to go instead of me - the list was endless. I never really accepted these excuses back then either. After screaming, crying, and protesting to go, the fights would eventually calm down and I would, once again, not be on a plane visiting West Palm Beach.

I wish I knew my grandmother. I wear her pearl necklace a lot and I feel beautiful in it. I think I can learn a lot from my relationship, or lack thereof, with my grandmother. I can learn a lot about family, both the one I come from and the one I will soon begin (b"H). I read about her accomplishments and I see clearly the person who I want to strive toward becoming. I want to be a leader, one of both my family and my community, and be the helper when help is needed.

Below is the obituary from 2004.


SOPHIE B. LIPSITT, 92

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Sophie B. Lipsitt, 92, of Arden Courts Assisted Living Residence, formerly of New Bedford, Mass., died Saturday, Oct. 23, 2004, at home. She was the widow of David J. Lipsitt.
Born in New York City, she was the daughter of the late Sidney and Rebecca (Eisenstadt) Bogorad. She lived in New Bedford since early childhood; she resided in Florida since 1973.
Mrs. Lipsitt was a longtime member of Tifereth Israel Congregation, where she was president of its Sisterhood and Hadassah. She was a member of B'nai B'rith.
For many years, she helped the blind by typing manuscripts into Braille in English and Hebrew. With a lifelong commitment to volunteerism, she was a nurse's aide during World War II, a docent at the Flagler Museum and a helper at Morse Geriatric Center in Florida. She gave freely of her time and talent to a variety of charities.
Survivors include two sons, Marc Lipsitt of West Conshohocken, Pa., and Jeff Lipsitt of Boston; three grandchildren; a stepgrandchild; and a sister, Evelyn Sacknoff of Fall River, Mass.
She was the sister of the late Samuel N. Bogorad.
Her funeral will be at 1 p.m. tomorrow at Tifereth Israel Congregation, 145 Brownell Ave., New Bedford. Burial will follow at Plainville Cemetery, New Bedford.