Monday, June 29

new york update

So, I don't know how this all came to be.

But it did. I somehow have snagged myself a great job (well, two if you count being a research assistant), great apartment, and great friends. I am en route to getting a great internship and passing my first "year" of graduate school with high grades. I'm sincerely happy and sincerely confused about how this all came to be. I'm not questioning anything but questioning everything at the same time.

New York City is so much fun. It's confusing, exhilarating, fun, exciting, lonely, surprising, and beautiful all at the same time. It's a place that is very much based on perspective: If you're positive, you're life will be positive. If you're negative, well... you're life will be negative. It's all about how you see things and it's quite difficult to stay positive with a smile on your face all the time. But when I succeed at doing this, I succeed at everything I set my mind to. From this, I've learned that in New York, anything is possible.

I am growing as an up-and-coming social worker in so many ways. I can feel myself coming closer to the career I want to find myself settling into. Now, from the girl who pays attention about 10% of the time (if that) in class, writes papers the night before they are due, and frolics around the city with anyone and everyone until dawn (often on weeknights), this is quite the feat. But I'm learning and growing and developing at a rapid rate. My friends see it happening in me. I'm getting along with my family (both sides) for the first time in my entire life. Yes, in 22 years. And I'm financially independent and proud of it.

Of course there are things and people I miss. But, like in Israel, they tend to keep coming to me. I love it. I'm looking for apartments for the fall and I'm contemplating sharing a room... but I think that I can't do that because I love having visitors. So far, four days have not passed since a close friend or family member has visited or stayed over with me. It's amazing. I love this feeling and I never want it to end. More importantly, I love living in New York and I never want that to end.