Sunday, September 7

Happiness

I think happiness is an uncontrollable feeling. When I'm truly happy, I can't stop smiling. Literally. I just can't do it. I've felt that way so many times over the last few days. Being sincerely happy is so rewarding and feels better than any feeling I have ever experienced. I know life isn't about being happy all the time, but having the ability to see, feel, and experience happiness in all situations is quite remarkable. Luckily, life's been treating me well lately.

Today was the first day of Sunday school at CBI and I couldn't be happier. My kids are incredible. They make me laugh so much and I absolutely love when they reiterate what they are learning to both me and their parents. I think it's this fulfilling because I am so passionate about what I am teaching them. It's probably that way for most things in life. The best classes in school are typically those we are most passionate about. We have the best times with people we are most passionate about. Surrounding ourselves with positivity is probably the best route to happiness.

When I went to lunch today with my friends, I realized how good I felt for about the tenth time today. I looked around the new Kosher spot in town and I realized how nice it was to hear Hebrew all around me and see Kippahs with smiles below them throughout the room. The first time I zoned into a Hebrew conversation, I grabbed Jen's arm with excitement. I realized how nice it felt to listen to the language I love. And then it felt even better to think back to an hour before and realize I just taught children their first Hebrew lesson ever. That's crazy! I don't remember my first Hebrew lesson. But for these third graders, today was a huge step in their Jewish lives. Hebrew becomes a part of Jews and whether you excel or are a little slower than others, it is the language of our people and we must learn it. I honestly didn't think of how monumental this day was for my kids until just now. I hope they remember this third grade year some day when they are sitting in shul and realizing how much they know. I was also super proud to teach them their first word: Shabbat - but in Hebrew of course.